Ms. Randi DeBrito
Ms. Linda Curcio
Ms. Debra Kalish
Ms. Lauren Provost
Ms. Kerri Adams
8:30 am - 2:50 pm
2 Francine Place
Oak Ridge, NJ 07438
Fax (973) 697-2049
Dear Parents & Students,
Happy New Year! I hope you and your families had a wonderful holiday season and relaxing winter break! There have been many excellent learning opportunties for our White Rock students over the past month and some of them are highlighted below:
- In third grade science, students dissected owl pellets to determine what the owl ate by looking at the bones and skull
- Third grade students have just finished learning all of the times tables
- Fourth grade students will be making cookies to donate to the local food banks to help those less fortunate in our community. The activity will also allow students to practice math skills of measuring and multiplying ingredients to expand a recipe
- A fifth grade class participated in Hour of Code on December 6th. They enjoyed an hour of coding a Star Wars game and were awarded a Certificate of Completion at the day's end
- 4th grade parent volunteers are working with students in their Art classes to complete a printmaking unit based on the ancient Aztecs
- 4th grade Art Enrichment students are learning how to use Google Classroom and Pixlr, a program similar to Photoshop, to manipulate pictures and create original photo-montages
- There were record crowds in attendance at the TREPS Marketplace on December 7. Seventy three (73) fifth grade students participated in creating 58 businesses. Every student made a profit with their business and some students donated some of their proceeds to charities, including the American Cancer Society, Toys for Tots, St. Jude's and Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Research Foundation
- The fourth and fifth grade bands and choruses are performing their holiday concerts during the month of December. Ninety five (95) fourth grade students and eighty five (85) fifth grade students participated in the choral selection and ninety four (94) fourth grade and forty two (42) fifth grade students performed the band selections. The band and chorus portions also featured a large number of soloists who all did extra preparation and performed very well. The fourth grade concert was only the second time that the entire fourth grade band performed together as a complete group. They did a fantastic job coming together as a team!
- On Saturday, December 3, the White Rock 5th Grade Chorus and 5th Grade Band performed at the annual Christmas in the Village festivities. Both groups drew large crowds and the students enjoyed the opportunity to perform music that they have been working on for the upcoming Winter Concert.
Please see the Upcoming Events section on this webpage for information about activities for White Rock students over the next month. Also check out the School News and Student Showcase sections of the website to see pictures from many of our school events and activities.
Mrs. Randi De Brito