Name_____________________ Honors Biology
Enzyme Internet Worksheet Mrs. Hopper
Please access the website in "Activity 1" and answer the following questions after following all of the related links on the site.
1. What are enzymes?
2. To what class or group of organic compounds do enzymes belong?
3. What is meant by an enzyme being "specific"?
4. (True/False) Enzymes are used up in chemical reactions because they are altered in some way. (If you believe the statement is false, write a corrected statement in the space below):
5. (True/False) Enzymes can be used to make polymers. (If you believe the statement is false, write a corrected statement in the space below):
6. What do you notice about the shape of the enzyme and that of the substrate (the molecule that the enzyme acts upon)?
7. The specific area in which the substrate fits into the enzyme is known as the "active site". What happens to the active site when the enzyme denatures?
8. List two factors that can cause an enzyme to denature: