Welcome Back Juniors!!
Welcome to the world of upperclassmen! There are many important activities in the junior year. The PSAT in the fall kicks off your year of standardized testing. Over the course of the year, you will take the PSAT in October, the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) in March and the SAT I in April, May or June. Some of you may even take the SAT II tests if required by your colleges and universities.
In your junior year, you will begin your college search and exploration with your school counselor. You will get out and visit some colleges and universities with the hope of having a list of schools by the end of the year in June. With all of this, you must keep your fine academic performance and your active involvement moving along. Now would be a good time to become an officer in a club or a captain of a team!
There are several things you should keep in mind over the course of your third year at Jefferson Township High School.
JUNIORS TO-DO LIST:
- Really get to know your guidance counselor. Stop by to say hello!
- Check the guidance website frequently.
- Take challenging courses and earn the best grades that you can. The GPA that will be sent to colleges is
calculated at the end of your junior year.
- Work on building strong relationships with your teachers. You’ll need to ask two of them for a letter of
recommendation in the fall of your senior year.
- The PSAT will be offered to all juniors in October.
- Register for the SAT I in the spring. Most juniors take the SAT I Reasoning Test in May. Some students will
take the ACT, another college admissions test, at the same time. Register for each at their respective
websites: www.collegeboard.com or www.act.org
- Study for the SAT and/or ACT. The more time you put in the better your scores will be.
- Get involved! Play a sport, join a club, continue to do the things you love! Build that resume!
- Think about the classes you like the best and consider potential college majors.
- Explore your college options with your school counselor.
- Start checking out colleges online. Use the links to the left as a starting point.
- Attend the Morris County Directors of Guidance / CCM College Fair in October.
- Attend the mini-college fairs offered through guidance.
- Junior College Planning Night - https://sites.google.com/jefftwp.org/junior-college-planning-night/home
Our JTHS Counseling Team has put together a presentation for College Planning. This presentation is exclusively for students in their Junior year and their parents. Counselors will review important information regarding all aspects of the college application process.