Gifted & Talented Procedural Complaint Process
Jefferson Township Public Schools District Policy 2464 Gifted and Talented Students amendments will be forthcoming inclusive of the protocols outlined below:
Pursuant to A4710 1R: Strengthening Gifted and Talented Education Act, the following protocol must be used to file a complaint alleging that Howell Township Public Schools is not in compliance with the provisions of the Act. The alleged occurrence of noncompliance must have taken place within one year of filing the complaint. Please note: the complaint process is different from an appeal for placement of a student. The complaint process only deals with alleged procedural compliance as outlined in the Act. This process will yield no change to prior student placement decisions.
The complaint shall include:
- The name, address, and contact information of the complainant; and
- A statement that the identified school district is not in compliance with the provisions of this act, and the specific facts on which the allegation of non compliance is based.
An individual who believes that a school district has not complied with the provisions of this Act may file a complaint with the Superintendent or designee. Based on the decision of the Superintendent or designee to affirm, reject, or modify the the District’s action in the matter, the individual may file a petition of appeal of the written decision of the Superintendent or designee in the following order utilizing the same above described format:
- Board of Education - Based on the decision of the Board of Education to affirm, reject, or modify the district’s action in the matter, the individual may file a petition of appeal of the written decision; to
- Executive County Superintendent (investigation must be completed within 60 days) - Based on the decision of the Executive County Superintendent to affirm, reject, or modify the district’s action in the matter, the individual may file a petition of appeal of the written decision; to
- Commissioner of Education via Office of Controversies and Disputes in accordance with N.J.S.A. 18A:6-9 and the procedures set forth in State Board of Education regulations. Should the District found to be in non compliance with the Act, remediation of the Gifted and Talented Program will take place.